How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26752
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is this U.S. law?

Customer Question

Is this U.S. law?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an issue that happened around spring break my hometown, a city, with another girl, that I'm concerned about, as I've represented a lot of facts or data for a sup purposes. However, the time was about 14 age, and the other girl had fallen flat on her face in our apt., building, as she was smoking pot, yet I was, and had to breach an attorney, but left her with slight blood. It appeared she fainted, but I was too scared to ask for assistance, in a way. As so, I was completely wrong, but a look back toward, it seemed that she may've gotten up once awoke, and left the building so I didn't receive any phone call on such, and I was completely wrong. That was maybe '77, today I'm 51, and haven't heard of it through other school students either, but I don't want to be blamed, but it was wrong completely. Is this likely to address my beginning, so? I'm so sorry it happened, but other things were going on, so I would've heard about it, if I was to blame. Would that make sense? Thank you.
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

No, that is not US law. That is gibberish. Make sure you use your right to remain silent, and make sure you talk with a licensed attorney who can review your case in detail before you speak with any police about the incident. Do not discuss the incident with anyone except a licensed attorney working on your case. If you do discuss it with anyone, (you should not), make sure you tell the truth.

Hope that helps.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


It would appear that the previous expert has opted out of this question. So I will pick it up from here.

I believe you are worried about an accident that occurred in your building back in 1977. Illinois has criminal and civil statutes of limitation. Statutes of limitations are laws that control how old a case can get before it's too old for you to be sued or prosecuted.

In Illinois, assuming that you ever had a duty of care towards this girl, the civil statute of limitations would have run out two years after she turned 18. So the fact that neither you nor your parents were ever sued for this then means it's much too late for that to happen almost 40 years later.

Similarly, if you'd committed any criminal act, the state would have had to proceed against you for 18 months if this matter was a misdemeanor or three years if it was a felony. Either way, it's much too late for anything to happen now.

So you have nothing you need to be worried about and you don't have to carry this on your conscience. You can't get sued or arrested for this matter. While it's not a good idea to talk about this incident, like your first expert said, you face no criminal or civil liability for this action. If you feel morally accountable somehow, professional counseling may be useful to help you overcome that, but you have nothing to fear from the law.

Please take the time to rate my reply so that I can get credit for my work.