Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Is it illegal to submit a fake GED Cert. as a transferring

Customer Question

is it illegal to submit a fake GED Cert. for enrollment as a transferring student. sure my girlfriend used a fake GED Cert. to get into a community college for classes, she has not enroll in Navarro Community College, when she went to enroll they (campus police) held her for criminal felony charges of falsifying govt. documents.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

This is not an immigration-related question, correct?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Yes it is illegal to submit false documents to get into a community college. It is fraud, which is a felony. If the defendant falsified or forged a government form, such as a GED certificate, or lied on her application to a state community college, that would also involve falsifying government documents.

These are, as she has already been made aware, felony offenses. The odds of her going to prison are very very low for a non-violent first felony offense. Typically, states would make a first offender an offer of probation for a crime such as this. But the charge should not be ta***** *****ghtly.

She needs to make sure she has a criminal lawyer. If she can't afford one, she needs to plead not guilty at her arraignment and ask the judge to appoint her a public defender.

I don't know what you specifically wanted to know when you typed up the facts of your girlfriend's problem with the law. So if I didn't touch on it, please reply and tell me, and I'll expand my answer.