How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyDort Your Own Question
AttyDort, Litigation Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 96
Experience:  Criminal and Civil jury trial expeirence; 17 yrs exp in state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttyDort is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a Florida minor gets a alcohol consumption ticket in an

Customer Question

if a Florida minor gets a alcohol consumption ticket in an Illinois college party and the order is to suspend the drivers license --will florida honor the suspension, since it was not traffic related?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

Great question. It's actually super common.

Generally yes. If a person gets their PRIVILEGE TO DRIVE suspended in one state, even though they have a drivers license in another state, their home state will honor the suspension.

The only question is "When will the home state find out?"

Although I cannot tell what statute is at issue here, I can say the cause of the suspension does not matter in general. The only relevant fact is that the privilege to drive is suspended.

States can suspended the driving privilege of a person even if they do not have a valid drivers license from that state. It actually happens every day.

And that is why you cannot get a speeding ticket in one state you are visiting, and then just go home and ignore it. In those cases, the visited state would cause a failure to appear suspension, and then give notice of that suspension to the home state's DMV agency.

There may be a way to challenge the home state suspension once it comes. When the suspension notice arrives it should include information on the driver's right to challenge the suspension. But I cannot say if that would help in this situation.

Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to the Florida Department of Highway Safety Drivers License Suspension info. I believe this would be a good starting point for more detail on your state:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DLC addresses moving violations. And not all moving violations are necessarily reportable because of states statutes. So the language seems to state that there wouldn't be reciprocity since this is not a moving violation. It does not apply to parking tickets that may cause a suspension in one state for instance. So my question still stands ...will Florida recognize an Illinois suspension order due to minor consumption of alcohol ? There was no driving or vehicle involved.
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.


Don't confuse reporting of violations with reporting of suspensions. They are completely different things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I'll call Florida dmv
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

Yes. If you want someone to tell you it will not happen, you should keep searching.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a different contributor, did you have further questions that your previous expert did not answer for you regarding this matter?

Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

Additional Relevant info: Source:

I have a Florida license and received a traffic ticket in another state. Will this affect my Florida driving record?

If you hold a Florida license and have received a ticket in another state, they will send Florida the ticket information and it will be added to your record. You will receive points on your license if the ticket is a point-accessible violation according to Florida Statute 322.27(3). Florida law does not allow any school or program to remove points for a ticket received in another state.

Any unpaid ticket reported by another state will result in the suspension of your Florida license. If this has happened you must contact the county where you received the ticket and obtain a receipt with the Court seal.

All 50 states and Washington, DC have websites with motor vehicle information for consumers. Some states have separate agencies for driver licensing vehicle, registration and highway patrol (State Police). Go to other states links.

You must present this receipt to DHSMV via fax(###) ###-####, or mail, or in person at any Florida Driver License Office. There will be a D6 suspension reinstatement fee due if the ticket was paid after the Florida suspension date. If you are not sure if you owe the D6 suspension reinstatement fee or have trouble contacting the county where you received the ticket, please call(###) ###-####or inquire at your local Driver License Office in person.

If a ticket is listed incorrectly on your Florida driving record, please contact the Customer Service Center at(###) ###-####