How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26740
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted carrying fire arms 30 years ago not being

Customer Question

I was convicted for illegally carrying fire arms 30 years ago not being registered and at one point one of the convictions was attempt to possession of a weapon while defending myself against an assailant. This was 30 years ago. I did 2 to 4 in the prison for an attempt of possession of a weapon and bail jump, I was naive and did not know the law and was badly represented by a legal aid. I look back now and I see my constitutional rights violated and I wish to vindicate myself. Is there a chance that i may get my constitutional rights vindicated by your firm?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, JustAnswer is not a law firm but a general information service. Lawyers on this site can answer questions about your present situation and provide you with information but we are not allowed by either our bar associations or this site to provide actual representation to customers.

If you want to know where you can find a lawyer who can restore your civil rights, we are not allowed to refer you to a specific lawyer or law firm because that too would be a violation of JustAnswer's terms of service. But I can direct you to the same legal referral services that lawyers use when they themselves need to find an attorney in another state or subspecialty and personally know of nobody. One of those would be your state bar association's lawyer referral service. They charge a $50 fee for the referral which includes a free consultation with the lawyer. You need a lawyer in the state where the conviction occurred because that's the state that has to restore your rights, no matter where you are living now.

A commercial legal referral service which has been around for a long time and which is very highly regarded is Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client-rated to make it easy for you to narrow down the field.

If you wish to have more information about how you get your rights back and what your chances of success may be, please reply and let me know and I will add that information for you. If you do that and yours was not an Ohio conviction, let me know the state it which you were convicted, because the opyiond snf procedure for restoration of rights differs widely from state to state.