How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27126
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was arrested at UNH of alcohol and a fake ID. I

Customer Question

My daughter was arrested at UNH for possession of alcohol and a fake ID. I would like to understand what the penalty is for both for a first-time offender?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

The penalty for a minor in possession of alcohol in New Hampshire results in a fine which can be anywhere from $300 to $1,000. Additionally, the law of New Hampshire allows for your daughter's driving license to be suspended for at least 90 days or as much as a year, even if the facts and circumstances of her case had nothing to do with driving.

The penalty for the fake ID is more serious. It is a class A misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000.

You need to get your daughter a lawyer for her case. There are special programs for which first offenders are eligible which would allow them to come out of this without a criminal record by completing a period of supervision during which she'd have to stay away from further contact with the law, abstain from alcohol, pay fines, perform community service and attend anti-alcohol classes. If she holds up her end of the bargain, her case would be dismissed.

While she would be eligible for something like this, programs of this sort are discretionary and are not automatically offered to everyone. It may have to be negotiated. And, of course, depending upon the facts and circumstances of her case, she may have a defense to the charges and want to fight the case rather than plea bargain. If so, she should not even consider that without an attorney.