CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I was orderd to pay restitution on a arson 2 charge my

Customer Question

i was orderd to pay restitution on a arson 2 charge my insurance co told me they would not seek restitution i am disabled and on disability
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. When the sentence was imposed, was there an amount which was ordered by the court? Also, when did your insurance company say they would not seek it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sentence in 2004 insurance co toled me before i accepted payment amount was over 200 thousand

If restitution was part of the sentence imposed, then it would need to be paid. Even though they may have told you prior to, that they would not seek it, they obviously changed their mind when the prosecutor contacted them and obtained an amount which needed to be paid. If they do not want it, then you need to either obtain a letter from them advising of the same and/or they need to contact the State and advise them of the same, so this is not held against you and you are not brought back to court for not paying it.