How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118248
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have questions about KS Criminal law, My situation is as

Customer Question

I have questions about KS Criminal law, My situation is as follows. Inmate was arrested on Wednesday, Sept 9/2. Brought in for failure to appear in court, for theft charges under 1K. When I went to post is bail, they advised that evethough I posted bail, they would not release him because he had two outstanding warrants for the same charge in the stat of Missouri. So, if I paid the $ right then, they would NOT release him they would contact Jackson County Sherrif to have him extradited to MO for the outstanding warrants. He has seen a judge and the next court date is on 9-8-15. I need to know if I can get a lawyer to assist me in getting him time served on that date by the judge so that they can get him to Missouri and then I can bail him out from their. These are all misdeamnor charges. However, this matter is time sensitive. The original reason he did not make it to court on the specific date in 2014 was because his father is very ill. STAGE 4 CANCER. Please contact me in some way.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you want him released, you are going to need an attorney in MO who will have to go to the court to get them to agree to release the warrants and get a new court date on which he will have to appear. The MO court can set a bond which you would have to pay in MO on each charge, in addition to the KS bond, and they can thus release him from the jail in KS. This means though, you cannot do anything on this matter until Tuesday when you can get him an attorney in MO to get to the courts and to the DA there to negotiate to get him to appear in MO voluntarily and post a bond so he can be released. I am sorry to say nothing is going to happen until Tuesday at the soonest because the attorneys and judges are not available to deal with this during the holiday weekend I am afraid.