How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a minor fender bender in a workplace

Customer Question

I was involved in a minor fender bender in a workplace parking lot while attempting to park a little over 24 hours ago. Unfortunately I did not leave my name at the scene. It was later I discovered minor scratces on my front bumper. It is possible I may be able to locate the owner next Tuesday after the holidays.
Am I correct to say it would be prudent of me to report the incident with the local police department? I have already filled out a crash report and intend to take it in tomorrow.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.


If you tell the police that you were in an accident and left the scene without providing your contact information and going directly to the authorities, you are confessing to a hit and run. They can and almost certainly will charge you with a misdemeanor for leaving the scene and you will become the defendant in a criminal case.

When you've done something against the law it is never prudent to tell the police about it or anyone else, for that matter, unless it's your lawyer. You have a Constitutional right against self-incrimination and you ought to exercise it and remain silent, since it's too late to fix that now.