How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26785
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

All pertaining to North Carolina: Is there a statute of

Customer Question

All pertaining to North Carolina: Is there a statute of limitations on filing a stalker complaint to the magistrate? how do you get video serveillance from Target? Law enforcement wont get involved saying it is a civil matter. Target will only give out
video to police. Can I subpoena Target and if so, who do I have it served to? Can a civilian serve a subpoena or does it have to be law enforcement, e.g. can the defendant serve it to the plaintiff, or in this case, Target? I am needing Target's video recording
of their parking lot because my ex was just waiting there stalking me when there is a DVPO against me. As per the DVPO, both parties are suppose to obide by it and not harrass or stalk one another. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


There would be no statute of limitations if you wanted to prosecute your ex for stalking or for her violating the protective order. Yes. you would be able to subpoena Target but in order to do that, you would need a judge to sign off on that subpoena. That means you would have to be involved in court proceedings and the video would have to be relevant to your case. If so, the judge will sign the order, which can be served by the sheriff, his deputy, or by anyone at least 18 years old who is not a party to the action.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I go in front of a judge to do this? ie. Is going before a magistrate the same thing?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Yes. In North Carolina a magistrate can issue a subpoena.

Related Criminal Law Questions