Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My daughter loves in florida she was just charged with petty

Customer Question
theft she. Had grand theft...
My daughter loves in florida she was just charged with petty theft she. Had grand theft which was close to be exsponged will she do jail time
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/3/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Jail time always depends on the specific facts of the case, in addition to a person's criminal record. However, if she facing jail time at all and cannot afford a lawyer, the state has to appoint a lawyer to defend her at no cost. Her lawyer will be able to try to negotiate with the DA to avoid jail time. One way to do that is through a plea bargain. It may be possible to negotiate some sort of agreement where she repays the value of the item, does community service, and serves probation rather than going to jail. She could also be ordered to take some sort of shoplifter's prevention program. But it is possible to avoid jail. It's more likely that she would have to serve a couple of days if she goes to trial and is found guilty, but the DA will let her lawyer know if they're going to ask for that.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer