Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was charged ,000 dollars in theft, it is my 1st offense,

Customer Question

I was charged for 4,000 dollars in theft, it is my 1st offense, will I be serving time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Although prison time is a sentencing option with a felony level theft offense, on a first non-violent criminal charge such as this one, so long as you make your court appearances, you should not have to worry about jail. You'll be able to fight this charge while at liberty. Moreover, if you want to resolve this case by a plea agreement, the most common offer for this would be probation with restitution (payback) to the defendant.

If you wish to reply and tell me what US state this has happened to and to give me more information, I can look up the particular statute and be less general. But the odds of you being able to avoid jail if you want a deal to do that are pretty close to 100%.