Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was charged ,000 dollars in theft, it is my 1st offense,

Customer Question
I was charged for 4,000...
I was charged for 4,000 dollars in theft, it is my 1st offense, will I be serving time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/28/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Although prison time is a sentencing option with a felony level theft offense, on a first non-violent criminal charge such as this one, so long as you make your court appearances, you should not have to worry about jail. You'll be able to fight this charge while at liberty. Moreover, if you want to resolve this case by a plea agreement, the most common offer for this would be probation with restitution (payback) to the defendant.

If you wish to reply and tell me what US state this has happened to and to give me more information, I can look up the particular statute and be less general. But the odds of you being able to avoid jail if you want a deal to do that are pretty close to 100%.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD