How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of a misdemeanor abuse crime in New York

Customer Question

I was convicted of a misdemeanor sexual abuse crime in New York state.I have a release of disability statement signed by the judge from the court of my conviction restoring my rights to posses a firearm there how do I get it to transfer to WV
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A misdemeanor does not ordinarily prohibit someone from carrying a firearm or possessing a firearm, although under terms of your misdemeanor conviction in NY you may have been restricted. Now you have an order from the NY court releasing that restriction, your rights are reinstated everywhere and all you need to do is present a copy of that order if denied a firearm. You can also register that order with the court in WV by filing a "Petition for Recognition of Foreign Judgment" in the WV court and file the judgment order with them and the WV court will review it and issue an "order of domestication" which means it is recognized as though the WV court issued the order.