Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My cousin came over to my house last week and actually

Customer Question
hi there. My...
hi there. My cousin came over to my house last week and actually attacked me. During the scuffle, she got hit in the mouth. Last night i was arrested for assault causing bodily injury. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/27/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you were acting in self defense due to the attack by cousin, then this can be used as a defense to the charge. If you were charged with a criminal offense of assault, then you need a criminal defense attorney to represent you and defend against the charge.

.

If you have a court date for your arraignment, then that is where the judge will explain the charges against you and ask you how you want to plead. Assuming you want to defend, you would plead not guilty and if you can't afford an attorney, you can then ask to have a Public Defender appointed to represent you on the charge. The judge will then ask you some questions about your income and assets and then may have you fill out a form with information prior to appointing one.

.

He will then set a pretrial date a few weeks off so you have time to talk to your attorney and he can investigate the facts and then prepare a defense. The attorney will also likely discuss the case with the DA and explain your side of things. If it can be resolved, then at the pretrial, the resolution will be presented to the judge for approval. If it can't then the judge would then set a trial date where the case would be heard in front of a judge and jury a few months later.

.

Your attorney will prepare with you for the trial and then if there were no other witnesses, the state would present their case and your attorney yours with both you and cousin telling your sides of the story and the judge or jury would make a ruling in the case.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law