Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

We have this family friend who has been incarcerated in a

Customer Question

We have this family friend who has been incarcerated in a Texas prison for attempted capital murder. He's done 17 years on a 20 year sentence thus far. Last September he was caught with a cell phone charger in his possession during a "shake down." If I remember correctly, the charger was homemade and not a store bought charger. He just learned that they indicated him in March. My question would be, is there a chance the DA could drop it or should we hire an attorney to try to fight this. He doesn't have the best record in prison, but has been case free since September. It was only the cellphone charger they found, not the actual cellphone. What should we do? Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Unfortunately, DAs rarely "drop" charges unless it is a part of a plea bargain for another charge and I've never seen them drop a case unless an attorney is involved.

He definitely needs a lawyer and while he can apply for a court appointed lawyer he is taking his chances since he could get a great one or an awful one. Cases involving a prisoner are more difficult than the usual cases due to the fact that witnesses are hard to interview, etc.