Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son is on probation and has to finish up domestic

Customer Question

My son is on probation and has to finish up domestic violence classes for another 3 months. He is a dual citizen and now considers moving to another country to start a new life as he is not seing any future for himself here in the US and in his current environment. It looks like he needs to move before he completes his probation. Will he never be able to come back to US without getting arrested right away?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your son's situation. If he leaves BEFORE probation is over, then then eventually a warrant for his arrest will be issued because he would have been seen as violating probation. He would likely be rearrested upon reentry into the USA.

If he leaves AFTER probation is over, then he should have no trouble reentering USA.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.