How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27488
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm concerned that someone has filed a police report against

Customer Question

Hi, i'm concerned that someone has filed a police report against me on charges that did not happen. what do i do now?
I was on a cell phone plan with someone and ported my number back to my own plan with verizon. he is now claiming that i stole his social and his identity and that is simply not true. i just went to verizon and asked if i could get my phone number back.
i'm terrified of him because he has threatened multiple times to murder myself and my family, set my house on fire, and other similar threats.
i'm not sure what to do here.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Have criminal charges actually been filed against you? When he has threatened your physical safety, have you ever filed a police report against him? Do you have proof in texts or on your answering machine or emails of any of those threats?
If you are not already a defendant on a criminal case, you can go to your police, tell them that you are in a dispute with an ex boyfriend who is scaring you to death. Tell them that you have no intention of keeping his phone but he won't let you return them. Turn them into the police and let him pick it up from them.
If he has filed charges against you, you will need to go to court and you should get yourself a criminal lawyer. Once you tell your lawyer the backstory you've explained above, he can alert the prosecutor and this case may be something that can be dismissed. Your lawyer can also make arrangments for your ex to pick up the phone with the police, which would avoid the problem you are most concerned about.