How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found a wallet at a casino. i took the money out of the

Customer Question

i found a wallet at a casino. i took the money out of the wallet and disposed of the wallet. there was no id in the wallet. i've never been charged with any crime. casino security took me to an interview room and called the police. i gave all the money back. the police said that once they spoke with the owner, i would be charged with petty larceny, a misdemeanor. what should i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
There's nothing you can do now because you haven't yet been charged. If the wallet had no identification in it, perhaps the casino will not be able to locate the owner either. If/when they can, if the owner of the wallet wants to prosecute, you will face a misdemeanor charge, and at that point, you'll need to hire a New Mexico attorney and resolve your case.
Typically, a low level theft offense will result in nothing worse than probation on a plea to the charge and it is even possible for a lawyer to negotiate a disposition that could keep this offense from being on your record. Or, if your lawyer and you believe you have a defense to this, you could fight the case all the way to trial.
Right now, you're in a wait and see mode and about the only thing you can do is to start looking for a New Mexico lawyer. You don't have to retain him now, because there's nothing he can do for you, but while you have the time to look, you might want to make some phone calls so that you have someone already up to speed on the issues if you do get charged.
Although we cannot refer you to a lawyer or law firm because that's against the terms of service of this site, we can give you the names of the same services lawyers use to find another lawyer when they need to consult with one in another state or sub-specialty and don't know of any.
Try the New Mexico Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral. It includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney, which you can have by telephone.
There are also commercial referral services. One that's been around for a long time and is highly regarded is Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which may be useful to help you narrow down the field.
A question of "what should I do?" is very general. If there was something specific you wanted to know but didn't ask, reply with a follow up and I'll address that for you.