How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27590
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i report my car stolen?? I purchased a car exboyfriend

Customer Question

Can i report my car stolen??
I purchased a car for my exboyfriend over a year ago to lease we had an oral and email agreement that he would make all the payments and keep the car in my name. He made all the payments for a year plus and then emailed me and text me to come pick up the car because we broke up. It's my fault i waited a year without making arrangements and finally we started talking again i made arrangements for me come pick up the car via text in which case i got upset again and before the date to pick it up came i told him don't contact me anymore via text or call. Now three months later i don't want to talk to him but i want him to call the auto shippers and arrange everything etc. But he refuse to lift a finger for me and i'm not going to call him or text him. He told me i left my property and refuse to pick it up. If he doesn't call the shipping company for me can i report the car stolen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. I am sorry to say but you can not. I say this because you know the vehicle was not stolen and if you reported it as, would be a false report and you could get charged. This is a civil issue, between you and him and not criminal, so it would need to be resolve through the courts. I understand that you do not want to have anything to do with him but you do need to take the steps to get the car back, so you can sell it, trade it in or dispose of it in some way, so you will not have the financial obligation.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions