Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

The lawyer of my choice turned me down because he

Customer Question

The lawyer of my choice turned me down because he represented the other person involved in my case in domestic case. What is considered a domestic case? If you can answer 2 questions, how would you recommend finding a great criminal lawyer for New Bern, NC. and is there a way to check the credentials of a lawyer before hiring him?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
What is considered a domestic case?
This is subjective, but it generally means a case mired in family law, such as divorce, custody, etc. Sometimes, a civil restraining order may also be seen as a "domestic case."
But it is less about labels and more about substance. IF an attorney believes that they have a grossly unfair advantage, a conflict of interest, or otherwise somehow unethical - see here - then they must decline the representation. The only way that they can represent one in such as situation is if the other party gave written consent to it.
JustAnswer experts cannot refer you to specific attorneys because of ethical considerations. May I recommend the NC Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.
The way to ensure an attorney is credible is to look them up on the NC Bar page, first:
http://www.ncbar.gov/gxweb/mem_search.aspx
One may also wish to then check to see if they have been disciplined by the Bar for any reason:
http://www.ncbar.gov/discipline/disorders.asp
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.