AttyDort
AttyDort, Litigation Attorney
Experience:  Criminal and Civil jury trial expeirence; 17 yrs exp in state and federal courts.
67981144

I was in a car wreck in which a friend died i am being

Customer Question

I was in a car wreck in which a friend died i am being charged with homicide by vehicle in Georgia . after the accident i wasnt tested for alcohol in any way but today i was charged after telling them i had a beer so was i arrested because of the beer or why was i arrested and will the beer automatically convict me/
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  AttyDort replied 2 years ago.

Good question. The basis of a homicide by vehicle charge in any state can come from 1) gross negligence (like speeding); and/or 2) drug or alcohol intoxication.

For example, a person who had one beer, but crashed while street racing, might be guilty of gross negligence by racing, not intoxication, even though they had 1 beer.

It may be the charge is based on the alleged negligent driving, not intoxication.

The details of the "Complaint" or criminal indictment will identify the basis of the charge.

Do not discuss the case with anyone until you talk with an attorney licensed in your court. Making any statements at all can screw you. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney in advance of a court date, you should show up to court on time, and ask the court to appoint a public defender to your case. Do not try to handle it alone.

Hope this helps.