How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went across the street to complain to the new neighbors

Customer Question

I went across the street to complain to the new neighbors about the noise from the new construction site and the dust and debbris making it's way onto my property. An argument occurred. They called the police and I was arrested for trespassing and disorderly conduct. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

I am sorry to hear of this situation.

Under CT law, trespassing is a class B misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in prison, a fine of up to $1,000, or both

I suggest that while it could be dismissed, you would want to consider consulting with a local criminal defense attorney because

1 - You do not want a criminal record AND

2 - You do not want to risk that you may go to jail.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Disorderly Conduct under CT law is a Class C Misdemeanor that will remain on your criminal record until the case is dismissed. This crime is punishable by up to 3 months in state prison, probation and a $500 fine

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

And so again, I suggest that because the crimes allow a judge to impose a jail sentence, you do not want to risk that a court may impose the jail sentence.

Now, keep in mind that the state has to prove the crime occurred and it must do so beyond a reasonable doubt, should you elect a jury trial.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

However, a local skilled attorney may be able to get the matters dismissed or at least on an inactive docket which means you would be placed on probation and as long as there are no other incidents in the allotted probation period, none will be prosecuted and they would not appear on your record.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you