How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27727
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got in an altercation yesterday afterwards i left and went

Customer Question

hi i got in an altercation yesterday afterwards i left and went home and i got a call saying the cops were called i guess the cops went to my girlfriends house and left a card with her parents saying i needed to call them and they said to call them in th morning so when i got to my girlfriends parents and got the card so i emailed the cop and said i would call in the morning so at 9 am i called n he gave me till tomorrow morning to go in but he wants me to go in at 7am so i wont have time to have my lawyer there with me and he said if u give me a statement it will help u i think he just wants to get enough info out of me to get me what should i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if its more convenient for you to chat on here that is fine with me as well. thank you.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Unfortunately, unlike in non-legal categories on JustAnswer, where phone calls are allowed, in the legal categories live phone calls can be deemed practice of law which is forbidden by our bar associations, since JustAnswer is not a law firm.
Legal experts here do not and cannot represent you on this website with any legal matter. I can answer your question, however and from there I would be happy to provide you with further legal information on this forum if you would like to use the reply tab below.
Thank you for understanding.
Your instincts are correct. You need to understand that "make a statement" means "sign a confession."
When you are the suspect of a crime, you should NEVER talk to the police without a lawyer present. And what you're likely to find is that a lawyer will tell you not to talk to the police at all. Talking to the police will almost never help you, and it will almost always hurt.
If the police have enough information to arrest you, let them come out and do so. Don't go to them and give them the evidence they need not only to arrest you but to convict you! You never have to cooperate with the police by sujecting yourself to an interrogation. You have a fundamental right under the 5th Amendment of the Constitution against self-incrimination.
Call the police and tell them that your lawyer is not available and you won't be coming in unless/until he reaches you and accompanies you. Otherwise anything you say to the police about the incident can be used against you. But breaking the appointment and standing on your Constitutional right to remain silent can NEVER be used against you. Tell them that your lawyer will give them a call if he wants to schedule a new appointment.
The police know that you have rights. They just want you to ignore those rights. DON'T!