Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I made a right turn on a red light from the bicycle lane

Customer Question
without making a complete stop...
I made a right turn on a red light from the bicycle lane without making a complete stop. They want to fine me '$542 plus cost of traffic school. The ticket was based on a camera and a video and the notice does not indicate my speed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/12/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
What state are you in?
If this was in California, what city?
Solana beach
Thank you.
The photos that came with the ticket usually show your speed approaching the intersection, how long the light was yellow, and your speed on the other side. The DA has that information, and if you go in to court to talk to him about the ticket, he'll be able to show it to you. If for some reason they don't have it, then you can ask them to dismiss the ticket because they won't be able to prove you ran the red light. You could also try sending a letter asking them to provide it, if you've already returned home and aren't in California.
Usually, when traffic school is available, it's the best option to avoid points on your driver's license. But that doesn't help if you're licensed in Louisiana - traffic school doesn't transfer. So the options are to dispute the ticket and try to get it dismissed or pay it. Red light tickets are one of the few where the district attorney usually is not willing to lower the fine (you can go in and ask - but it wasn't allowed when I worked for the DA in traffic court years ago).
The way these red light tickets work, two officers review them and decide whether to issue the ticket. They take their vacation at different times to ensure that one of them is always available to go to court. So, if you want to fight it, keep in mind that the officer will probably be there.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer