Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My boyfriend has court today here in columbiana alabama

Customer Question
for 3rd degree trespassing a...
My boyfriend has court today here in columbiana alabama for 3rd degree trespassing a apartment complex which there's no proff of .
There was a warrant for his arrest cops arrested him at work. I'm worried what will happen? Will he go to jail?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/11/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Criminal trespass in the third degree in Alabama is only a violation. You can see that for yourself here on the statute:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/13A/7/1/13A-7-4
This is the criminal equivalent of a traffic ticket. Crimes are misdemeanors and felonies. A violation is a criminal offense because it's under the penal code. But it is still just an infraction and something less than a crime. It would carry a penalty of up to 30 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $200.
If your boyfriend has no previous criminal history, he should be able to resolve this case without jail. It's a very low-level, non-violent offense and there would be no reason to incarcerate him for it. If he wanted to dispose of the matter, he could likely pay a fine.
When he comes before the judge at his arraignment, he needs to plead NOT guilty when the judge first asks him how he pleads. That's the only plea that he can make that will keep all of his rights open so that he can fight the case if he wants to and move it eventually to trial or negotiate a favorable deal if he'd rather not go to trial. He can also put the case off for another date for him to come back with a lawyer.
You can always take back a not guilty plea and plead guilty later on, but it doesn't work the other way around. Once he pleads guilty, he's going to be stuck with that. So he needs to plead not guilty first and see what either he or his lawyer can work out.
Ideally, he wants something here that not only will keep him out of jail but will keep his record clean. That may have to be negotiated. Even though this is not a serious matter and even though jail is unlikely, a conviction in criminal court can have lifetime consequences. So it's best that he has a lawyer on his court date to provide the best possible damage control for him.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD