How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1384
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was molested by my youth pastor when I was 14 yrs old. I

Customer Question

I was molested by my youth pastor when I was 14 yrs old. I am now 58. The molester plead guilty and will be sentenced Oct 8th.I live in Alabama. The statute of limitations has run out for me. The victim was molested in the 90s. I was going to testify if it had gone to trial. My question is can I sue the Methodist church for negligence and recover something for all of the pain and suffering I have lived thru for all of these years?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately in Alabama, they have taken a strict view of the statute of limitations in sexual abuse cases. There are some states which permit the person to sue long after the event occurred, however, in Alabama, the state has adopted a strict 2 year period from the date of the injury. Therefore, the statute of limitations as passed and you would be unable to bring the lawsuit.

I'm sorry that you are unable to sue the church in this instance. I hope this has been at least somewhat helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback.

Related Criminal Law Questions