How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37854
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HOw to file grand theft charges before deadline?

Customer Question

HOw to file grand theft charges before deadline?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Only the county District Attorney's office has the legal ability to file criminal charges. All you can do is file a complaint of theft with the police department in the city where the theft occurred and allow them to pass on the information to the DA's office.
As for the small claims action, do know that under CA law, small claims limits you to seeking $10,000 in damages and so while you could sue in small claims, you would have to waive any damages in excess of the monetary jurisdiction of the court. You could however choose to sue in limited jurisdiction Superior Court or Superior Court and seek the full value of the instrument as well as costs and your legal fees as well as punitive damages---perhaps far exceeding your actual loss.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,