CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My grandson is in st.louis co. jail violation. can i request

Customer Question

my grandson is in st.louis co. jail for probation violation. can i request a public defender for him, or have someone talk to him so he knows his options
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. You can not request a public defender for him. The PD will be appointed when he goes before the Judge, to answer to the violation of probation. What you can do is retain him private counsel, who can start working on the case, see him n jail and try and get his released, if there is no bond set on him. When a person violates, they can either admit to the violation or deny it. If they deny it, then a final hearing will be held and the State will have to show a violation. They also will have to answer to the new charge, if this was not a technical violation, so often times, if there is no defense, a plea deal with include both the violation and new charge.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!