How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27450
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Indiana and the son was here from California. My

Customer Question

i live in Indiana and the son was here from California. My husband is terminaly ill and son was here for 2.5 weeks to help us out but since he left my husband and I discovered that all of my husbands hand guns were missing. Ron (son) has always wanted those guns and requested he be left to him when his dad dies. is there any way my husband could file charges for theft of firearms and transporting them from IN to CA. I don't think he has a gun license either. he lives in Lincoln, CA.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Yes, you could file charges in both states actually, for the theft of the guns in Indiana and the possession of the stolen property in California. Additionally, transporting them over state lines would also be a Federal offense.
If you wished to have him prosecuted, you would report the theft to your local police and let them know that. You could then contact the police in Lincoln, CA and do the same. I don't know if the Federal government would be interested or would leave this to Indiana and California, since they have bigger fish to fry, but you could give them that option by contacting the FBI at the field office nearest you.
Law enforcement would take it from there.