How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Indiana and last Tuesday a friend of mine called

Customer Question

I live in Indiana and last Tuesday a friend of mine called me to tell me that a mutual friend of ours had called cps snd filed false claims of child abuse on both of us. When I confronted so called friend about this she replied that she cslled them on me and two other people I know. Someone had called cps on her so she called them on everyone because she didn't know who did it. The cases on all three of us are going to be closed soon because they are obviously false. She admitted to me that she did it out of spite. Can we sue her or what would be your advice in this matter?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this situation. Yes, she can be sued for deliberately making a false claim. However, you will need more evidence that this was done out of "spite" then her telling you - that would be your word against her word.

So you would want to work with CPS and have them verify that she admitted that she did this knowing that what she was saying was not true.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I suggest that such lawsuits are costly and while you may be able to find a local attorney to take the matter any attorney is going to want to know what her assets are to collect. There is no sense in suing someone who has nothing for you to gain. Court is costly and takes time. But I suggest you should consult with a few local attorneys, and see if she has enough assets for them to consider taking this on a contingency basis.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you