Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am a married yet separated and divorcing male. I have been

Customer Question
in at least a 1.5...
I am a married yet separated and divorcing male. I have been in at least a 1.5 year significant relationship with a female police officer (10+years on job and she is not married) ) Her chief made her sign a no contact order to cease contact with me after a minor domestic argument not in her jurisdiction. This has caused much stress and anxiety and hindered our relationship. She was told she would be fired if she violated order. The chief and lieutenant ordered me to stay away from her. Is this legal and can they fire her. I was told by many this is not legal nor enforceable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/31/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
The verbal cease and desist from the police cannot be enforced. However, they can have her file a criminal complaint against you for the DV. The order by her chief to stay away from you or be fired, can be enforced if there is a policy about being involved in DV or other criminal activity.
I suggest that if they want the cease and desist to stick against you, they would need to get a court order. But they can enforce their own policies against her.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
Thank you
We have been living together for a year and a half. They have giving her no grounds on why they have made this order. There was no criminal or laws broken. Her chief seems to think that he is allowed to tell his officers how they are aloud to date. We are also engaged and planing to marry after my devour is finalized.
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for asking for me. The previous expert was correct though, her employer can restrict her contacts with anyone even off duty. So while you may believe he has no authority to dictate to his officers under his command, he does have the authority and you had a minor domestic incident which gave him the right I am afraid.
If she wants to keep her job, she has to obey the chief I am afraid.
Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law