How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27126
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2015 Ford F250 diesel was recently vandalized by using red

Customer Question

My 2015 Ford F250 diesel was recently vandalized by using red spray paint on half of the truck and they also poured sugar and water into the diesel fuel and the diesel exhaust fluid tanks. I have them on video from home security cameras and we know them. The initial "best case" scenario from the insurance adjuster is $2145. Although the ins company will also seek restitution, what can i do to have this person arrested and hopefully land them a few months of jail time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If you have them on video vandalizing your property, then what you have to do is to report the crime to your police. Tell them that you have a video of the damages being done and that you want the vandals prosecuted.
I can't tell whether the DA will seek jail or not. That will depend upon the facts and circumstances of the case and the age, background and criminal history of the defendant. But the fact that your insurance company will repay you for the damage doesn't mean you're not entitled to prosecute. You can and should, and as you know the vandals, you can even get a restraining order so that they keep away from you and your property. And even if they end up on probation -- a real possibility with a non-violent crime - the order will protect you and their activities will be monitored for some time.