Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If my record was expunged in California am I still required

Customer Question
to register publicly in Oregon?...
If my record was expunged in California am I still required to register publicly in Oregon?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/30/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Unfortunately, the expungement of a sex offense does not relieve you of your registration obligation. So you must register as usual.
Yes, more specifically, I'm asking if I will be required to register publicly.
I am out of the house and not able to research on my iPhone. I will opt out do that someone else can assist you as I won't be home for some hours.
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardThe publication will depend on how your conviction lines up with the level of sex offenses under Oregon law. However, you can also petition for relief from any registration in Oregon. You can show your record has been expunged in CA. 181.833 Procedure for relief under ORS 181.830; after conviction or adjudication; testimony of victim. (1) A person who meets the criteria described in ORS 181.830 and seeks relief from the requirement to report under ORS 181.806, 181.807 or 181.808 shall: (a) If the person was convicted in this state of the offense or adjudicated in this state for the act giving rise to the obligation to report, file a motion for relief from the requirement to report and an affidavit of eligibility with the circuit court of the county in which the person was convicted or adjudicated and serve a copy of the motion and affidavit on the district attorney for that county. (b) If the person was convicted in another United States court of the offense or adjudicated in another United States court for the act giving rise to the obligation to report, file a petition for relief from the requirement to report and an affidavit of eligibility with the circuit court of the county in which the person resides and serve a copy of the petition and affidavit on the district attorney for that county.I suggest that you may want to consult with a local Oregon attorney to discuss having the Petition filed properly.
Thanks for taking the time to help Samuel, I would like to clarify a bit further. Oregon had a tier system California does not. Currently in California I am required to register publicly for life regardless of the fact that my record has been expunged. I am wondering if I would have to register publicly for life in Oregon if I were to move there. In 2006 I was charged with the equivalent of ors 163.432 and also ors 163.433. My record has since been expunged. Would I have to register publicly for life in Oregon if I moved there now?
HelloThank you for the clarification - the answer is yes. If CA is a lifetime registration, so is Oregon.For full relief I suggest you would need the Pardon from the Governor of California
So does that apply to the public registry too?
Yes. It would apply. I wish it was better news for you.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law