Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Recently charged with conspiracy to traffic meth, I am lost

Customer Question
as to what to do...
Recently charged with conspiracy to traffic meth, I am lost as to what to do next. I've never been arrested before am a 42 yr old white grandmother of 2. Amount of meth intercepted was 2 lbs and 18 arrested. Well over a week later myself and 3 others were picked up and charged with the same thing as the first 18. What should I do and how much prison time am I likely to get?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/29/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. The possession amount you describe is a felony amount and can carry with it a substantial amount of jail time (20 years). That said, the good news is that you are likely not considered the main conspirator since you were not initially arrested. Moreover, it is harder to prove a case without actual possession by you that is tied directly to you. So, don't give up hope as you can beat this and there will likely be an opportunity to become a witness in order to have a reduced charge (misdemeanor with no jail time). You need an attorney, period. If you cannot afford an attorney, then there is no shame in using a public defender. Work closely with them and hold them accountable. Give the public defender permission to look at deals for you for reduced charges, etc. In the end, you can beat this, but you need an attorney and the public defender is fine. At your arraignment, request an attorney be appointed, if you can't afford one and plea not guilty. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer positively as well. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer