How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27126
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 29 year old son voluntarily agreed to an assessment after

Customer Question

My 29 year old son voluntarily agreed to an assessment after writing what could be considered threats on a web site.
Now, he is being held without his consent and being ordered to take respiradal or haldon.
I think he needs help but that involuntary outpatient counseling would be a better solution.
How can I deal with the NC system?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If during the course of a psychiatric assessment, voluntary or involuntary, the physicians determine that a patient is a danger to himself or others, they can hold him past the assessment period, without the patient's consent, and treat him to address his condtion. You may feel that he'd be better served by counseling, but if the doctors don't they can keep him there and prescribe a course of treatment that they believe would be best for him, in their medical judgment.
State laws allow for this. Your son will be held and treated until he has a hearing to determine what will happen to him from there. If the doctors find that he can handle outpatient treatment and counseling, they can release him at that time. But if they think further inpatient care is necessary, they will want to keep him.
He's entitled to have a lawyer at that hearing and you should see to it that he gets a lawyer who is experienced with involuntary commitment issues involved as soon as possible. If you're not sure where you can find one, contact the North Carolina Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer to find an attorney knowledgeable about involuntary commitment was not the type of help that I expected.Your answer seems to indicate that even after requesting a review, "the doctors" will decide if the man requires medicines, in patient treatment, or outpatient treatment. Then, what is the point of a review.A reasonable answer would at least address evidence that could successfully counter "the doctor" opinion.

Related Criminal Law Questions