How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102380
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Traffic ticket to appear in court in person as a minor for

Customer Question

traffic ticket to appear in court in person as a minor for 221.05 unlawful marijuana possession do i need a lawyer the on court date in person there w me ??? is this mandority ???
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.I am sorry to hear about this situation. It is important to retain counsel as quickly as possible. Yes, it is advisable to have counsel for the first hearing, if possible. If the Defendant does not, the Court may actually reset the matter to give Defendant time to find counsel. This would likely be one of several resets. The Court will reset the case several times before the Defendant decides to:1) Plead guilty (not recommended)2) Go to trial, or3) Strike a plea bargain with the prosecutor.So it is not "mandatory" in that the Court is unlikely to punish one for not having an attorney at their first hearing. However, the Defendant actually wants to get counsel, and should do as soon as possible.Best of luck.I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.