Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I want to write a letter to the governor of Mississippi to request a pardon son who

Customer Question

I want to write a letter to the governor of Mississippi to request a pardon for my son who was sentenced to 35 year for armed robbery on circumstantial evidence.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and i will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I need a little clarification first, so please tell me1 Your son has applied or will be applying for the Pardon? 2 He is no longer in prison - correct?3 And you want your letter to be attached to his Pardon application?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
4 Is he on any type of paper - parole or probation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has not applied and he is still in prison.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He was sentenced to 35 years without parole for armed robbery. He has done 20.
He originally was detained for more than 200 days without a court date and no legal representation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I need to cancel this, I am getting nothing here
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Then you cannot apply for a Pardon. What he can consider is applying for "Commutation". That could create a reduction in his sentence.A pardon can only be sought when one has been released from prison and has been crime-free for 5 years from the date of the end of any community supervision such as Parole or Probation
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for you patience while I type my information. It is not automatically generated. If you want to continue with information on how to apply for the commutation of sentence, I can provide that if you want to continue
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
And I don't want to discourage you, but since he was denied parole It may not be possible for the Governor to commute his sentence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, my issue with everything is that he was detained for more than 200 days without legal representation before receiving a court date
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think his civil rights were violated and he did get due process
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is a problem. And it seems you have exhausted all your court avenues but for the US Supreme Court. I mean, I can help you with a letter to the Governor in this regard - but I suggest they are only going to refer you to an attorney. And it is unfortunate that organizations such as the ACLU does not have the manpower to take cases where someone is not on death row.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
He got due process if he had a fair trial. Due Process does not seem to be the issue here - and without being able to review the entire files of all court proceedings I would not be able to determine what issues are here. I wish I could help you in this regard. But I cannot. I will opt out and maybe another professional here can be of assistance.At this time, you do NOT need to rate any of my information and your deposit will stay in tact.