How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26753
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I grabbed a cops hand and got a felony. I am 7 years without

Customer Question

I grabbed a cops hand and got a felony. I am 7 years without a charge can I get my gun rites back
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
I'd love to be able to tell you what you want to hear, but if you have a felony conviction, no matter how old it is, you're not going to get your gun rights back in Texas without getting a pardon from your governor.
Regardless of the fact that your felony conviction was 7 years ago, any felony conviction costs you your state and Federal gun rights.
Texas restored your right to vote two years ago. You also get partial gun rights in your state 5 years after the completion of your sentence. But all that means is that you can keep a gun in the house. You may not take it anywhere else, so you cannot leave your house with it to hunt.
Also, the Federal government does not recognize a partial restoration of gun rights. So even if Texas is willing to let you keep a gun in the house, you would still be guilty of a Federal offense if you do and if caught by the Federal government in your home.
The Federal government will restore your gun rights if Texas restores all of your other civil rights, including your full second amendment rights. But as mentioned before, except for the right to vote, all your other civil rights must be restored in Texas through a pardon from your governor.
Any former offender can apply for a pardon without the need of a lawyer. This is a link to an instructional booklet so that you can see what it entails. Once you are pardoned you can apply for an expungement, though you wouldn't need it to get your gun rights back in full.
Good luck!