How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27704
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbor has been relentlessly harassing me and my family

Customer Question

my neighbor has been relentlessly harassing me and my family for the past 6 months because they don't like the fact that we live above them and they don't like the noise that comes from our apartment. It went from simple things like slamming the doors whenever we walked around the house, to verbal insults and threats directed at us thru their window whenever we step out of our apartment. It is borderline obsessive the way they spend their time, waiting for us to do something so they can retaliate. We have had the Police come out before because of their threats and they suggested a Civil Harassment TRO. They have blatantly told us that they intend to do everything they can to make us move. They have called CPS on us and they threaten us that they are recording every conversation and that they know people in the local government that will find a way to have us removed. What can I do? Other than the TRO is there anything else that can help protect us?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If you have already involved the police, filed for a TRO and talked to your landlord, then you have covered most of your bases and you need to enforce the order if there is any further difficulty.
You could also find a local trial lawyer in general practice and have him send your neighbor a cease and desist letter, detailing their harassment and putting them on notice that you will exercise your rights in both criminal and civil court to the fullest extent of the law should their behavior continue. Sometimes, what a person does not believe from his neighbor he will take much more seriously when he sees it in the form of a certified letter on legal letterhead. Then of course, if it makes no difference, you would have to be prepared to go forward and sue or prosecute.