How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to lobby to have a new law or statute passed stating

Customer Question

I want to lobby to have a new law or statute passed stating that any one who must defend his name and reputation will be compensated for the money he must spend in doing so. When we are faced with requiring a lawyer we deserve to choose what ever representation
we choose, not just a public defender that you may or may not get a fare trial with. So basically if you win your case that it would be required that the county you are being prosecuted in to compensate your funds that you required to get the counsel you choose
to protect your innocents and reputation as a citizen. I need help writing this up and need assistance getting this bill passed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.So you want the "proposed legislation" to say in a criminal matter the Defendant "shall" be reimbursed for the amount of his legal defense should the defendant prevail? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I feel that the state has unlimited resources and a citizen should have every right to choose his councel of choice with out sacraficing his bank account for good representation. If he wins his case and is found innocent he should be reemburst for the cost of his defense team.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's the best route to take in order to introduce this onto common law?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you. ***** don't disagree with you. To have a law amended or to propose a new law, you need to have it go through the Minnesota legislature/General Assembly. And you can contact your elected representative to the Minnesota Legislature and request a meeting to discuss your proposal. They work for you. Your tax dollars pay their salaries so they are going to make time to discuss your ideas.You can use this link to locate your elected legislator. And this link will explain how a Bill becomes a law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
At any rate, you can contact your representative and begin with them. Then you can also contact other legislators and talk to them about this proposal. And in the nutshell your proposal is this In a criminal matter the Defendant "shall" be reimbursed for the amount of his legal defense should the defendant prevail.Your legislators will be able to have the proposal drafted with the proper law references, etc and they should do that at your request. Again, you pay their salary.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Most laws have a lot of "history behind them - that means, that generally when a proposal is first introduced it does not get passed. And so you will need to continue "lobbying" them and finding others to join you and help to get this matter passed.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you