How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Adjudicated delinquent here, charged with felony but had my

Customer Question

Adjudicated delinquent here, charged with felony but had my record sealed. This was in WA state, 12 years ago. Asked court clerks if I would need my gun rights restored, spoke with County Prosecuting Attorney, he said I did not need them restored but it was a good idea if I were to be charged with another felony someday, my record would be unsealed and I would then be a felon in possession of a gun. Your thoughts? I am in AZ now looking to buy a handgun for home protection
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just wanted to clarify that this was a juvenile matter, and specifically curious if I would be able to pass a NICS check. I pulled my background on Washington State Patrol's website and there was no data returned. I understand their website only reports convictions and arrests within one year. This was 12 years ago and I have had no subsequent criminal activity, only one speeding ticket.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Felony C, theft
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel. Thank you for requesting I provide you information in this regard
Your juvenile records are not automatically destroyed. I suggest that when you do a NICS check your arrest and/or court records will be revealed. In that regard, I suggest you consider filing to have the records destroyed, but also request to have any and all arrest records sealed. That may be a separate process in AZ. The sealing of the arrest records will eliminate your fingerprints from being in any database
I suggest you can use the link below for more information on this process. The form in the link is for Maricopa County. But the county you were adjudicated in will have those forms and you will need to file in that county. Ask the clerk of the court for them.
Please let me know, if you have more questions. Thanks.