Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Adjudicated delinquent here, charged with felony but had my

Customer Question
record sealed. This was in...
Adjudicated delinquent here, charged with felony but had my record sealed. This was in WA state, 12 years ago. Asked court clerks if I would need my gun rights restored, spoke with County Prosecuting Attorney, he said I did not need them restored but it was a good idea if I were to be charged with another felony someday, my record would be unsealed and I would then be a felon in possession of a gun. Your thoughts? I am in AZ now looking to buy a handgun for home protection
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Just wanted to clarify that this was a juvenile matter, and specifically curious if I would be able to pass a NICS check. I pulled my background on Washington State Patrol's website and there was no data returned. I understand their website only reports convictions and arrests within one year. This was 12 years ago and I have had no subsequent criminal activity, only one speeding ticket.
Felony C, theft
7/17/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel. Thank you for requesting I provide you information in this regard
Your juvenile records are not automatically destroyed. I suggest that when you do a NICS check your arrest and/or court records will be revealed. In that regard, I suggest you consider filing to have the records destroyed, but also request to have any and all arrest records sealed. That may be a separate process in AZ. The sealing of the arrest records will eliminate your fingerprints from being in any database
I suggest you can use the link below for more information on this process. The form in the link is for Maricopa County. But the county you were adjudicated in will have those forms and you will need to file in that county. Ask the clerk of the court for them.
http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/sscDocs/packets/jvdor.pdf
Please let me know, if you have more questions. Thanks.
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law