How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28383
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long can a criminal case go? its been a year. And I have

Customer Question

how long can a criminal case go? its been a year. And I have bond, can I leave state to go to my brothers if I promise to come back
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Are there any conditions on your release? Are you on day reporting or anything of that nature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just show up for the court hearings once a month or every other month, they want me to plead guilty but i'm not and will go to trial but the other side never shows up so they just continue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its been one full year
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a bail bond
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. If you announce that you are ready for trial and the State is not, the Judge can grant them a continuance, upon the showing of good cause. However, after a few continuances, the Judge is going to likely just set the case for trial and essentially tell the State to bring in their victim/witnesses or dismiss the case. You and your attorney can press the issue and ask for this to be specially set, as well. Now, as far as going to see your brother, as long as there is no condition to your release and you do not have to check in with anyone, leaving and going to see him, should not be a problem. If you do have concerns, a motion with the court can always be filed and it should be allowed and granted, unless the Judge has reason to believe you are a flight risk.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!