How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Jim and Samuel. I am experiencing harassment again from

Customer Question

Hi Jim and Samuel. I am experiencing harassment again from someone I dated briefly (about 2 or 3 months 7 years ago.) She also stalked me for about 6 months after I stopped seeing her back then. I had told her clearly, and on no uncertain terms to not contact me again, but it was not in writing. I even tried filing a restraining order with the NY police, but they said I couldn't because she didn't live in the same state, and that I needed to file it with her state. I let it go because she stopped trying to contact me.
But now, 6 1/2 years later, she's trying to get a hold of me again by contacting my family. (I had to change my personal number twice to get her to stop calling me, and moved.) She lives in the US, but is actually from another country. And last I knew she was here on a student/work Visa, but I don't know her Visa status now. I just know she's still in the US. I don't know her home address in order to send her a certified mail letter requesting she stop harassing me and my family. I might be able to figure out where she works from LinkedIn though. Would sending the certified mail to her place of work count as the same? Also, can she be deported if she persists?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you for requesting I provide you information in this regardI suggest that you can send the certified letter to her place of employment and you can copy her employer on it, if you want. And again, keep it simple. Just state that she is on Notice that she Must IMMEDIATELY cease and desist any and all contact to you and/or your family. That the behavior is annoying and harassing and that if she does not you will pursue criminal charges.Unfortunately, at this juncture it would not automatically trigger a deportation. There would need to be a conviction. Also, I suggest that you could have gotten the restraining order from NY, but it would have had to have been served on her in her state, and registered with the court in the county and state where she lived for enforcement.