How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27109
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have issues with the parents of my children. I have 2 children

Customer Question

I have issues with the parents of my children. I have 2 children the oldest has a step mom that I believe logged into my facebook account and my gmail account and then used information found in my private messages by sending it to my youngest daughters father to start problems. I have the ip address of the person who logged into my accounts. How do I prove who it is? And what can I do about it now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
One way to do this would be to send an email to the stepmom -- not to confront her or arouse her suspicion -- but for some neutral reason to get a reply. Then you can trace the headers in her email and find her computer's IP number.
Headers will look like gibberish but they give the route an email takes. Your server should tell you how to find them, because they vary from one ISP carrier to another and where to find the computer of origin among the numbers. If there's a match, you've found your person.
Of course, if she has multiple ways of communicating and can do so from different places and servers, that will not work.
You could also find a site that will trace an IP, but all you'll get is a city and country. You won't get a full address or carrier.
The other would be to just report the computer hacking to the police and let the police use their tools to investigate and then get her prosecuted, since this is a crime in all states. If the police won't take action because they do not think you have enough evidence against the step-mother, a private investigator would be helpful.

Related Criminal Law Questions