How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2008,I accept a plead of grand larceny 3rd degree, I received

Customer Question

in 2008,I accept a plead of grand larceny 3rd degree, I received no jail time or probation, I had to sign a document stating i took funds from a corporation. Can I have this case sealed
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i know they have 10 years to file a claim for funds, but its now 8 years have not received any court papers
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard, since the professional you requested is unavailable at this time.What state did this happen in, please?You got no sentence of any kind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New York City was where it happened.At the time of hearing was diagnosed with lymphoma going in and out of hospital. My lawyer stated I would just sign the document saying I took funds and walk out the court. I signed document and left
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i received no jail time or placed on prbation
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. Give me a few minutes to research a couple of things.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience.What you need to do is file for a Certificate of ReliefHERE IS THE LINK for that process and application NY only allows a sealing of the record if there is no conviction. And it sounds like you have a conviction. But check with the clerk of the court and see how it is on your record since it is unclear as no sentence was given. It may be that your attorney worked out a deal to dismiss prosecution in exchange for you agreeing you took the money and would re pay itBut if there is a conviction, you need to apply for the Cert of Relief. In order to have the matter sealed, you would need a Pardon and that would make you eligible to then Petition for the Sealing of any records.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, i will look to start this up. i made a mistake in my life, hate that this will hurt me in future (housing,employ)
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
I agree. We all make mistakes. The CERT of RELIEF will help with employment, etc. But first check with the clerk. Give them your name and Date of Birth See what the record shows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you so much
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck and thanking you in advance for a positive rating on this information