Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a client (im in advertising) who in november or sohired

Customer Question

i have a client (im in advertising) who in november or sohired me to do some work for him-he used paypal to send me the a deposit of about $2200, the work was done and redone numerous times--but then put on hold--then in late may he demanded his deposit back--when i pointed out the work was done and that we were ready to complete it, as soon as he wanted us to, he said he "changed his mind", later we found out he decided to advertise on line so he didnt need our print work--anyway next thing i know i get a chargeback from paypal because he claimed the charge was unauthorized--i supplied paypal with emails from him etc proving that he DID authorize the charge --also supplied them with the work proving services were rendered--despite that ...and despite the fact the claim was easily 5 months after the actual charge. he still "won" now paypal wants me to return the $$..first isnt this fraud on a federal level as he's in NJ and I'm in NY and paypal is wherever? and the statement he made to them to get his money back is a lie--and i can prove that? FYI his main business is credit card miles so he knows how to game the system...which is what he's doing here...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Yes, this could be fraud on a Federal level since multiple states are involved. You can report this to the FBI and see if they are interested. You would do so at the field office nearest you.
https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field
That said, the FBI doesn't generally get involved unless the amount of money involved in the fraud exceeds $50,000. As there was a contract involved whether you go looking to prosecute him Federally or in New Jersey where he committed the crime, it is entirely possible that you'll be told to sue him civilly.