Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

How serious is having a PI on your record? I have no record

Customer Question

How serious is having a PI on your record? I have no record and am a resident of another state here visiting. I received a PI last night.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Public intoxication is a very minor offense in Texas -- a class C misdemenor -- and it is punishable only with a civil fine. It's the criminal equivalent of a traffic infraction and while there would be a record of your conviction if you pled guilty to this, that record doesn't go any higher than the local court level. By that I mean, it's a public record and there's a copy of this filed with the court, but it should not show up on your RAP sheet on a state or federal background check.
According to Sec. 12.03(c) of the Texas penal code, a conviction on a class C misdemeanor doesn't impose any kind of criminal or legal liability on the offender.