Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am a victim of sextortion on-line. What do I do?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/8/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Please tell me briefly what is the situation?
Is this a person you had a relationship with?
What are they doing?
I was going through one of the dating websites and the person offered to meet on skype. Than the person asked me add them to FaceBook. I did a facebook video call in which they proceeded suposabily to want to have cyber sex. It turned out they used a fake video and took a recording of me. They threatened to send the video all over the internet and all of my Facebook Friends and asked for 1K. I paid the 1st 1K and they continued to ask for more money.This is not a friend I know. I read up on the internet about "sextortion," and I heard the best thing to do is to ignore the person and block them and change all of my passwords. Any other advice since I an American but living overseas.
HelloThank you.First contact your bank and any credit card companies, cancel cards and request new ones. Put your bank on alert.I suggest you can contact the FBI and tell them what has happened. They may not be able to track the person, but who knows every such report may be the one they need. This Link will take you to the page and scroll to the bottom for the office locations
Be aware that once you block and ignore, some one may contact you and say they can help you to recover your money. Do not believe them. They would be the scammers again. You may never recover your money but if you have any chance at all, the FBI is the agency.
You do not need to go into detail of the scam you fell prey to. You only need to tell the bank and credit card companies that you have been scammed.
I suggest you also will want to contact all 3 credit reporting bureaus and tell them that you have been a victim of a scam, you have reported this to the FBI and you need to have your account flagged, so that if any credit reports are requested you are notified first. That is a "Freeze" or a "fraud alert"
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law