How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im ellis choate amd its been 26 ? years since I was convicted

Customer Question

hi,im ellis choate amd its been 26 ? years since I was convicted of felon dui can I get my rights back and I live in Columbia mo now and have been here for years
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In what US state were you convicted? Which rights are you looking to have restored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Redding ca and all if possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to be able to vote again and take the kids hunting .I grew up hunting and they want to but I cant cause of my dui felon . I just want to feel like a human again and be normal .
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a tall order. Once lost, California rights are very hard to get restored.Your right to vote was automatically restored upon completion of your entire sentence, so there is no reason you can't vote. Your other civil rights in California can only be restored by a pardon from the governor. An unconditional pardon based on a certificate of rehabilitation would get you all of your rights back, including your firearms right, since your felony did not involve the use of a weapon. You can apply for the pardon directly to the governor. If you want the certificate of rehabilitation, you have to have lived in California for the three years before you apply in order to qualify for it. As you're in Missouri now, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for that. Here's more information about the procedure. It is from San Diego county, but the information is valid throughout the state.