Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

This is in regards ***** ***** daughter's hit and run.You replied…

Customer Question
This is in regards *****...
This is in regards ***** ***** daughter's hit and run.You replied to me Zoey earlier tonight,,and thank you..I have another concern that people saw her and can identify her. And also when the cops came looking for her at the house they told me I better not report
my car stolen because they no it was my daughter!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/6/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hi again,
The police may be putting this stronger than the truth. That is, clearly, they wouldn't have come to your house if someone hadn't turned in your license plate. But the witnesses may or may not have seen who was actually driving the car. That's why voluntarily surrendering without a lawyer is not a great idea. It's an admission of guilt that can be used against her.
I'm certainly not telling you to report the car as stolen if it was not. That would be fraud. However, your daughter is not required to voluntarily help the police make a case against her. If they really have witnesses, they don't need her statements to arrest her. If they really don't have good witnesses, she'd be hurting herself to make a confession.