Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My boyfriend was recently involved into a fist fight with another

Customer Question
man that lasted only a...
My boyfriend was recently involved into a fist fight with another man that lasted only a minute or two with minimal damage and almost no injuries. The cops were present on the scene, took his name and took both sides of the story, but then left. He wasn't arrested but the other man threatened to press charges and might. My boyfriend is already employed but with a good record with only a charge against him when he was 19 (he's not almost 25) for using a fake ID. If he wasn't arrested at the scene, what is the worst that is going to happen and what step should be take next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/5/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. This would likely be an assault in the 3rd degree, which is a misdemeanor charge. It applies when the situation results in physical injury to someone else but that injury isn’t enough to qualify for a more serious assault offense.The elements of this offense are: 1. Intended to cause injury to another person and did, 2. Recklessly caused injury to another person, or 3. Negligently cause injury with the use of a deadly weapon or instrument The maximum sentence you will receive for a 3rd degree assault charge is 1 year in jail and fines....BUT that is highly unlikely.....and it is much more likely that the judge would issue a fine and put him on probation.
Also, if this other person were to file charges against your boyfriend, he could file the same charges against this guy.
Roger, Lawyer